Key information for youth in care:
- Emergency measures for youth in care have been extended.
- Youth currently living in foster care, contracted residential agencies or with relatives through the extended family program will be able to stay in their placements past their 19th birthday until March 31st, 2021.
- Youth on Independent Living Agreements and Youth Agreements will continue to receive financial support past their 19th birthday until March 31st, 2021.
Key information for young adults from care:
- Emergency measures that make the AYA Program more flexible have been extended until September 30th, 2021. These include:
- Young adults can take life-skills programs online.
- Young adults can take life-skills programs for fewer hours per week (5 hours/week instead of 12).
- Life-skills providers no longer need to be approved by the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
- Young adults can learn life-skills in one learning domain instead of four.
- Young adults can do cultural learning as a life-skill program, like learning a family language or meeting with elders.
- As of October 1st, 2020, additional flexibility is also being added to the AYA program.
- Young adults will have more options for mental health support while on the AYA program, including access to cultural healing and wellness.
- Young adults will be able to attend mental health services for fewer hours per week (10 hours/week instead of 15).
- Young adults will be able to take part in more than one program at a time — for example, going to counselling while going to school part-time — to best meet the needs of each person.
- Young adults will have flexibility when they renew their AYA agreement to best meet their needs. They will have the option to renew at such times as at the end of the school year or at the end of a program, with approval from a social worker, rather than having to meet every six months.
Where to direct youth and young adults:
- Youth and young adults should speak with their social worker for more information.
- Youth and young adults can also be directed to information on your organization’s website.
- Alternatively, youth and young adults can be directed here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/family-social-supports/covid-19-information/youth-young-adults-response-to-covid-19
Please click on the image below to download the AGM Registration Package.